Thursday, January 17, 2008

Getting into the swing of things

Well, its been a whirlwind of the typical winter onslaught at the lodge. The last few weeks have mostly entailed skiing my brains out. I think I have logged about 100,000 vertical feet in the backcountry since getting up to VMT in late December. Last week, my buddies from SLC put the hurt on, and a few of us averaged about 6,500' to 7,000' per day. Now I am in the end of another week of guiding, where some of the group members are averaging close to 6 grand a day. Not bad!

The winds have been ripping through the alpine in all of the Selkirks lately...but luckily we have tons of tree and tree-line skiing that is staying in top notch shape. Yesterday we went to the doors area of Cariboo, and were able to ski all of the doors, dropping lots of 40 degree shots. One of the guests and I were even able to sneak in a pretty fun 20 foot cliff drop...he he he. Don't tell the boss!

Well, the skiing is still good, with another storm on the way. Here is a photo from last week's REALLY deep fluff cycle. If that doesn't whet your appetite, I don't know what will.


I will also occasionally post to backcountryblog.blogspot.com so check it out. There are some posts there from last week with a few good photos, and a video of some helmet cam footage...enjoy!

1 comment:

Jeremy Allyn said...

How about some new posts, yo? Hope things are well at VMT! (from the guide who set the straightest skin track across Shannon Lake)